Quite a few times over the last month I've been asked about how you 'do' online PR, or how you make a start. There are many people much more qualified than me to do justice to that question but for now, here are my 5 starter tips.
- Set up google alerts for relevant terms (your own and client specific).
- Get into the habit of checking these and when you find a blog of particular interest, subscribe via an RSS reader. I use Feedly but there are many others.
- If you're not already, get onto Twitter; important for three reasons, firstly because you need to use it to be able to explain to clients how it works, secondly because it's a great way to pick up on the latest developments in the world of online PR and thirdly because many journalists use it as a way to find stories.
- Set aside time to research the online environment for each of your clients because it will be different depending on sector.
- Play around with some of the free online monitoring tools, set up profiles for each of your clients.
But most importantly don't get so carried away with the great technology and tools that you forget about objectives. Just because it's online, doesn't mean you should lose sight of what you're trying to achieve.